Sunday, March 21, 2010

Pepino Melon or Pepito Melon


This was my choice for our new fruit. It is great to go to Central Market and see so many different fruits and vegetables. Mom keeps insisting on trying the purple carrots..I am just not there yet. So this was interesting..the pepito or pepino melon. I was told by the Central Market produce guy that it is called both. He said I would love it, so I convinced my Mom to buy this $2.50 small fruit. I was glad she agreed. Better than a cantaloupe, the pepito melon was sweet but had more of a honey taste. I took the produce guy's advice and picked one with dark purple stripes since this is a sign of ripeness. Mom unfortunately did not have the same high opinion that I did. However, you should note Mom HATES cantaloupe and honeydew melon. I think we might try it with a spinach salad. I give the pepino melon a B+!

No comments:

Post a Comment